Children’s artwork flies into Jerome Library

For a limited time in the Jerome Library there is an exhibit originating from Italy, but there is a catch. Instead of famous paintings done by the mature and elite artists of the world all the artwork is done by children under the age of 8.

‘Where Ideas Learn to Fly’ is a new informational exhibit located on the second floor of the Jerome Library until October 13th.

The exhibit started out of Reggio Emilia, Italy under the name of ‘The Hundred Languages of Children,’ with the goal of educating parents and teachers on how to enrich their children’s lives with projects, music, art, and a variety of other forms of media. There is an emphasis on heavy parent and teacher involvement in he lives of the children. While the name may have changed slightly on the trip to Ohio, the fundamentals that the program teaches have not.

“BG has the largest early childhood education program in the state, so we felt this is where the exhibit needs to be,” said Vicki Knauerhase, Child Development Specialist.

The program “highlights the importance of any adult in the life of the child,” according to a Hundred Languages of Children pamphlet. The large 4-by-8 feet panels of the exhibit are covered with information about the program, projects and photos that the children involved have created as well as personal narratives from people involved all across Ohio.

“The exhibit is very large and there is a lot of information,” Knauerhase said, “We would recommend people, even those not majoring in Early Childhood Education but who are interested in children, go through the exhibit at least once, but probably two or more times so you can absorb all the information.”

The Program reaches out to children and gets down on their level while explaining the simple fundamentals of the things they encounter everyday. The program uses highlights such as responsiveness, protection, affection, and respect when dealing with children of all ages.

One five year old by the name of Jermaine drew a very detailed picture of a stick person with thought bubbles above their head.

He explained his picture by saying “The brain holds the air so you can talk like when it’s cold outside and the air comes to your mouth. Ideas come from your brain. Your brain helps you change your ideas.”

There are many other examples of children’s art surrounding the entire exhibit. There are pictures on the panels, there are books made by the children sitting on a table for people to view and even a slideshow of photographs constantly showing on a TV.

These drawings and comments illustrate that the children involved with the Reggio approach are not only learning what they have been taught, but understand it well enough to explain it to others, and express the knowledge through their art.

“We are pleased that we could partner with the College of Education and Human Development in bringing this exhibit to campus,” said Sara Bushong, interim chair of Jerome Library’s Archival Collections and Branches. “This exhibit has great significance because it places great emphasis on the child’s intellectual development.