Fox journalists describe horrors of Gaza City captivity

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip – Two Fox News journalists freed by militants yesterday described a harrowing two weeks of captivity during which they were blindfolded, tied in painful positions and forced at gunpoint to say on a video that they converted to Islam.

After their release, the men met with Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh and left Gaza, but first appealed at a brief news conference for foreign journalists not to be deterred from covering the plight of the Palestinians in the volatile coastal strip.

“I hope that this never scares a single journalist away from coming to Gaza to cover the story because the Palestinian people are very beautiful and kindhearted,” said Steve Centanni, a 60-year-old American reporter who was released along with cameraman Olaf Wiig, 36, of New Zealand. “The world needs to know more about them.”

In a phone call with Fox News, Centanni said they were abducted Aug. 14 by four masked gunmen on a side street in Gaza City. He said the assailants covered his head with a black hood, and crammed him and Wiig into a small car.

Their possessions were taken, and their wrists were bound behind their backs. “I still have some sore wrists,” he said. “It was digging into my wrists really badly.”

In captivity, Centanni said, he was laid face down in a dark garage and tied up in painful positions.

“If we tried to get up and sit up, which I did do a few times, they would eventually just force us back down with something stuck to my head,” he said.