Public displays of affection have a time and a place

Spring is in the air. The days are getting warmer, the grass is growing greener and the leaves are bursting forth from tree limbs faster than our professors can assign last minute assignments.

Like everyone else, my friends and I have taken to spending as much time as we can lounging outdoors. Instead of sitting in a stifling computer lab, why not spend laborious hours working on never-ending homework assignments outside in the balmy spring air?

Logically, we’re not the only students on campus who finish up homework on the acres of grass scattered across campus. However, some students seem to have much more than just last minute projects on their minds.

Last Tuesday, considering the unbelievably warm weather, my friends and I decided to spend our time in-between classes catching up outdoors, where we could enjoy one of the few nice days left before winter would inevitably rear its ugly head once again.

We sat down on one of the many benches scattering the grounds outside the Union, enjoying Starbucks frappachinos and the delightful warm air that can only mean summer is right around the corner.

However, the bliss brought about by the warm weather and good company was soon brought to a screeching halt.

Directly across from us, in plain view of anyone touring or walking the grounds surrounding the Union, was a couple engaged in some extremely blatant acts of affection.

Not only was the girl involved completely spread-eagled across the top of her male counterpart, but he was apparently unconcerned with the number of people around them who witnessed his roaming and grabby hands.

Now don’t get me wrong. As someone who is in a committed relationship, I understand the need to express your love for your significant other in a physical manner.

Nonetheless, there is a time and place for such actions, and directly in front of the Union during the height of campus activity where everyone can watch is certainly not the location for such private activities.

However, one cannot simply blame this unnecessary show of affection on the ludicrous and unwise decisions of the participants.

According to a study conducted in April 2006 from Psychological Science, this type of behavior can be considered somewhat normal come spring.

According to the researchers, when the weather begins to become warmer after a long season of cold and snow, it influences the mood of people experiencing the change.

‘Pleasant weather and higher temperatures [were] related to higher mood, better memory and an increasing need to show affection to others in our physical environment,’ according to the study’s results.

However, these results were not seen during any other season of the year. These patterns seem to arise only in the springtime, which the researches say is based on the rising hormonal patterns that occur in both animals and people during the warm months of spring.

And although not everyone is aware of these mind-boggling effects on our systems during the few warm weather spells Ohio decides to give us, one can certainly see their effects by just walking outside, or in that matter, opening up a newspaper.

According to an article recently published in The News Herald, springtime is one of the easiest times to plan a date, whether it is a romantic outdoor excursion or a simple walk in the park.

And not only does spring offer perfect and beautiful backgrounds for that special time with your loved one, but it also offers heartfelt gifts that are completely free.

According to the article, ‘Spontaneous gift giving shouldn’t be limited to the spring, but if you don’t do this already, the spring is the perfect time to start. Grabbing a flower from the neighbor’s yard isn’t always recommended, but you may not have to go far from your home or your partner’s home, to find that perfect pretty background to the love scene you want to create.’

Clearly, springtime is the perfect season for love.

If the weather warms back up in the next few weeks, show your significant other you care. Buy flowers. Take a walk together. Spend some time alone outdoors.

But I hope my message still comes through loud and clear when it comes to raunchy public displays of affection.

Next time, get a room.

Send comments to Kristen Vasas at [email protected].