ArtWalk offers public chance to experience art

For seven years, John Burt has been sharing his paintings with the Bowling Green community at the annual ArtWalk!

This year the event will be held tomorrow from noon to 5 p.m.

“The ArtWalk! gives us a venue for people to see what our work looks like,” said Burt.

ArtWalk! is sponsored by Main Street BG, an organization of property owners in Bowling Green’s downtown district. Therefore, the art galleries will be displayed at different locations along Main Street.

“This event serves two purposes,” said Main Street BG representative, Earlene Kilpatrick.

“It highlights local artistic talent and brings attention to our downtown merchants,” said Kilpatrick.

Over 75 local artists and craftsmen will have their work displayed in 24 different galleries.

There are three large exhibits that will be displaying works from multiple artists.

The Community Showcase will be displayed at the Wood County District Public Library. This showcase features work from 11 local professional artists and the Perrysburg Art Club.

Burt and other artists will be present at the library while their work is displayed.

“Being there gives me the benefit of catching up with the other local artists,” Burt said.

The South Main Commons Space will feature open working artist studios, children’s activities such as patchwork painting and newspaper hats, and the Bowling Green City Schools’ K-12 Youth Art Month Exhibit.

This gallery will be located at 437 S. Main St.

The Youth and Organizations Gallery will feature work from Wood Lane’s “ability art” program. Wood Lane provides services to individuals with developmental disabilities and mental retardation.

“It’s important for us to be a part of activities and share with the community the talents that we have,” said Liz Sheets, public relations coordinator at Wood Lane.

On display from Wood Lane will be fabric art, painting and jewelry.

The Youth and Organizations Gallery also is featuring works created by students at BG Montessori, Milton Center Elementary and Crim Elementary.

This gallery will be housed in the Huntington National Bank building at 130 S. Main St.

The University also has featured galleries participating in the ArtWalk! The Arts Village will be displaying student works in their Spring Show at the Kreischer Quadrangle.

Also, graduate students in the fine arts program will be exhibiting thesis work in the University’s fine arts gallery, which is in the art building.

Various other downtown merchants will be hosting artists and turning into galleries for the day. Some of the artists will be attending ArtWalk! and will be available to discuss their work and offer demonstrations.

For the first time, ArtWalk! is offering behind-the-scenes building tours. Featured tours include the Huntington National Bank Office Complex, the Milikin apartments, the Masonic Temple and the Cla-Zel Theater.

All tours will be offered from 1 to 4 p.m. Admission to the entire event is free of charge. For more information, visit www.downtownbgohio.org.