Disarming pact in tact with N. Korea

By Alexa Olesen The Associated Press

BEIJING – A hard-won disarmament pact that the United States and four other nations struck with North Korea yesterday requires the communist nation to halt its nuclear programs in exchange for oil while leaving the ultimate abandonment of those weapons projects to a potentially trouble-filled future.

In a sign of potential problems to come, North Korea’s state news agency said the country was receiving 1 million tons of oil for a “temporary suspension” of its nuclear facilities – and failed to mention the full disarmament for which the agreement calls.

It wasn’t clear if the report represented an attempt by the government to backtrack on the deal, or was simply a statement of bluster for a deeply impoverished domestic audience that Pyongyang has rallied around the nuclear program as a cause for national pride.

And by tackling so many issues in a process likely to take years, the deal could unravel, pulled apart by differing agendas of its six signers, which also include China, South Korea, Russia and Japan.

“We have a lot of work to do,” U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill told reporters.