Elevator safety is a must

By taking the stairs on campus students are not only saving themselves from becoming inconveniently stuck in elevators they are also benefiting themselves physically.

The safety of elevators has endured questioning ever since an Ohio State University student was pinned between the top of the elevator door and the third floor lobby floor in late October 2006.

Luckily, BGSU has not experienced any fatal elevator malfunctions, but they are still a common annoyance that occurs frequently on campus.

Angie Bennett, sophomore, has been stuck eight times in the elevators located at the ends of Founders. She said there were no signs posted on the doors declaring the elevator out of order.

Just recently, Angie missed the first quarter of the Super Bowl because she was trapped in a Founder’s elevator for 20 minutes. She also received a parking ticket after failing to move her car because she took an elevator that became stuck.

Additionally, Andrew Yunker, senior, has gotten stuck in an elevator on campus. However, after pushing the help button several times, his entrapment in an elevator located in University Hall only lasted two minutes.

Terri Sharp, director of Media Relations, stated that, “All elevators on campus are inspected by the Ohio Department of Commerce two times annually.”

“Elevators were just inspected in December and will be checked again in late June early July,” Sharp said.

The University also has an individual on call to eliminate elevator malfunctions as quickly as possible along with a service contract with Thyssen Krupp, Sharp said.

Nonetheless, taking the stairs as opposed to the elevator is a healthier option anyway, suggests Kristen Spencer, physical therapist at ProMedica Health Systems.

“Taking the stairs burns more calories per minute than most other forms of physical activity,” Spencer said. “The average man will use about 150 calories in 10 minutes of stair climbing.”

Benefits of taking the stairs include strengthening and toning leg muscles, burning calories and improving cardiovascular function, Spencer continued.

“I only use the elevator when I am in a big hurry now,” said Bennett

If students find themselves stuck in an elevator on campus, they should push the help button located inside the elevator car, Bennett said, by doing this a call is dispatched to maintenance or police who will come fix the problem.

In addition, students can call 419-372-7647, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m- 5:30 p.m. or 419-372-2346 after hours to report elevator malfunctions.