Art show gives students a chance for artistic fame

Sunday’s undergraduate art show isn’t just about showing artists’ stuff. For some students, it’s a chance of a lifetime – or at least a college career.

Bowling Green State University’s School of Art will hold its Annual Undergraduate Art and Design Exhibition this Sunday, a double studio showing of more than 275 of the best works of the University’s diversely skilled students, as determined by art faculty.

More than 100 students submitted their work for juried selection this year, with pieces ranging from drawings, photos and prints to sculptures, glass, ceramics and more.

For many students, like junior Sean Morrissey, the exhibit is full of last chances for undergraduates to display their achievements, to get their name out and to earn a little cash for their work.

Morrissey also looks forward to the event to share the limelight with professors that he says have shaped his and other students’ works through professional dedication, knowledge and instructional skills.

‘It’s a great opportunity for students to showcase their work and their professors,’ Morrissey said. Then, shifting to his own experiences, he said it shows ‘what I’ve learned and how they’ve helped me.’

Submitting three prints, a painting and a drawing, Morrissey credits his influence to internalized shape formations and disorganization.

Gallery Director Jacqueline Nathan is equally as enthusiastic for students submitting their pieces. She said this year’s jury members selected prizes and scholarships totaling more than $3,000, and students have the added opportunity to have their works purchased by guests.

Students participating in the exhibition are also required to volunteer their time to prepare for the event, Nathan said. Students are required to dedicate at least three hours to tweaking the gallery layout, magnifying visual appeal and familiarizing themselves with the work.

Some non-art majors like Ashley McFarland, senior, are also taking advantage of the undergraduate show Sunday.

Nonparticipants in the year-end’s Bachelor of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition were welcomed to submit their strongest works for this weekend’s show, as psychology major McFarland did.

‘It’s a good way to get your work displayed in a juried exhibition,’ said McFarland, who submitted a piece consisting of four translucent glass blocks, measuring three cubic inches, each featuring inner designs. Mimicking the concept of String Theory – newer, more confusing way of explaining subatomic formations using noodle-shaped models, McFarland illustrates the theory using what she calls ‘infinite grids.’

‘This is my outlet – this is the chance to show my work in ways that I can’t with my major,’ McFarland said.

She anticipates visits from friends and family who are less familiar with her creative side.

Students involved in the exhibition agreed that this year’s student art selection would be impressive.

‘We know what we’re doing and have strong aspirations of going on [professionally],’ Morrissey said.

The opening reception for the Annual Undergraduate Art and Design Exhibition will be held Sunday, Feb. 11, from 2 – 4 p.m. at the Dorothy Uber Bryan and Willard Wankelman Galleries, in the Fine Arts Center. The event is free and open to the public.