Massage’ doctor works out students’ knots

Even though many students are not aware of the “massage” doctor on campus, there is still time for muscles to be manipulated and maneuvered.

Since January, Dr. Peter Bainbridge, an osteopathic doctor, has been working in the Student Health Center cracking every nook and cranny out of students’ backs.

Spinal manipulation is a form of manual therapy, which involves movement of a joint past its usual end range of motion, according to an article by Norman Broadhurst, associate professor at University of South Australia.

The therapy known as spinal manipulation is considered as not a specific adjustment, as opposed to others as very specific adjustment.

Bainbridge works in the morning with these therapy appointments, and in the afternoons, he sees regular patients.

Spinal manipulation deals with the muscles and joints. Some of the common places where people have issues are the neck, shoulder blades and even the back, Bainbridge said.

Bainbridge clarified the difference between a M.D. physician and osteopathic physician.

“The difference is that an osteopathic physician has a background in muscles whereas a M.D. physician doesn’t,” Bainbridge said.

Since the back is a common area of pain for people, the suggestions he gives could help even at home.

“Whenever people have any problems, I like to send them home with some exercises to reinforce the exam I did and to make them better,” Bainbridge said.

People usually think of older people when they think of back problems, but nowadays younger people are having them as well, Bainbridge said.

“People have issues with their backs, but now even younger people are starting to have problems, so you never know,” he said.

Three places important for people to work on if they should have back problems are: Cervical (starting at the base of skull to top of spine), Dorsal (middle of the spine) and the Sacra (waist part of pelvis).

Bainbridge will be on campus through the rest of the semester. If an appointment is needed to be made, students can call the Student Health Center and make a regular appointment. These appointments last about half an hour. There is no additional cost to see Bainbridge.

Practicing medicine for over 15 years, Bainbridge also operates his own private family practice in Bowling Green, and still works on campus on the side.

“I enjoy student health and I’ve done it all, from delivering babies to performing surgery,” Bainbridge said.

After finishing his undergraduate work at one of the Medical Schools at The Ohio State University, Bainbridge did his graduate work at The Ohio State University’s Medical School.

Bainbridge is a certified family practitioner from American College, and has a lot of experience in this field, including serving in Iraq for a year in 1999, and Vietnam, as well as a medical director volunteer, according to Dr. Glenn Egelman, director and physician-in-chief for the Student Health Center.