The Battle of I-75 continues

In their return to Anderson Arena on Sunday, the BG women’s basketball team will take on their archrivals, the Toledo Rockets (8-12, 3-5 MAC).

Since the match-up will be the Mid-American Conference game of the week, the Falcons (19-2, 8-0 MAC) are looking to add another victory on their side of the rivalry.

After the Rocket’s 82-68 loss to Kent State (82-68) they hope to upset their Interstate-75 foes. They’ll have quite the task.

BG has won the last seven meetings and is currently riding a 12-game winning streak along with a 33-game conference win streak.

The Falcons enter the game with a field goal percentage of 47 and have four double-digit scorers – Ali Mann, Carin Horne, Liz Honegger and Kate Achter. Reserve Amber Flynn adds an average of nine points from the bench. The Rockets will have to decide who to cover just like every other BG opponent.

The Falcons will have to take advantage of the lack of defense the Rockets have given out in their last few games. They’ve given up an average of 80 points in their last five games.

Although, rivalry games generally mean that all records and statistics go straight out the window.

“It’s going to be a great match-up, they’ve defended us for years,” said BG Coach Curt Miller. “It’s a big home game for us.”

The Falcons aren’t going to take Toledo lightly though. “Nothing can be taken for granted,” Coach Miller said.

For Toledo, guard Danielle Bishop with forwards Savannah Werner and Diana Reindl cause a great offensive threat. All three are averaging double digits in points.

Tip-off is at 4 p.m. Sunday.