November 30, 2023

• Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]
  • Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]

Costumed gunman kills five in Valentine’s Day rampage

SALT LAKE CITY – Most were there to buy Valentine’s Day gifts. Mother and daughter, father and son, lovers. They were visiting a card shop and stopping for a bite to eat at Trolley Square.

The outcome, however, had nothing to do with bliss: Five people were gunned down at random and four others were injured.

“I can’t believe this is happening,” said Jenny Campbell of Harrison, Ohio, near Cincinnati, whose sister, Vanessa Quinn, 29, was killed.

“She was saying Salt Lake was the safest. … She loved biking, running. She loved nature. She just loved Salt Lake,” Campbell said of her sister, a Cincinnati native and a four-year letter winner on the University of Cincinnati soccer team who moved to Salt Lake City about five years ago.

Besides Quinn, the other dead were Jeffrey P. Walker, 52, Kirsten Hinkley, 15, Teresa Ellis, 29, and her boyfriend, Brad Frantz, 24.

Walker and his son, Alan “A.J.” Walker, 16, were shopping for gifts for women in the family.

A.J. described the gunman as “a man in a costume.” He is aware that his father was shot but on the advice of doctors will not be told of his death for a day or two, McDougal said.