In a class of their own

MEGAN THORBURN

NUMBER: 44

POSITION: Guard

HOMETOWN: Mason, Mich.

This is the player that drives every opponent crazy. Thorburn has shot over 40 percent from 3-point range the last two seasons. Every time teams collapse into the lane to stop her teammates, Thorburn makes them pay. She is almost automatic from the baseline and teams have found that out the hard way.

CARIN HORNE

NUMBER: 14

POSITION: Forward

HOMETOWN: Lima, Ohio

Horne has emerged in this group as a great scorer. She’s been able to take advantage of double-teams on Mann by shooting 33 percent from 3-point range this season and has averaged 10 points and four rebounds over her career. This season she’s stepped up her defense with just under two steals a game.

ALI MANN

NUMBER: 22

POSITION: Forward

HOMETOWN: Chelsea, Mich.

She’s been BG’s engine during her career. Named Preseason All-MAC every year since her sophomore year, Mann has averaged 14 points a game in her career. This season she’s averaged more than 15 points and five rebounds while shooting 53 percent. Mann is a strong candidate for Player of the Year honors.

LIZ HONEGGER

NUMBER: 13

POSITION: Center

HOMETOWN: West Lafayett, Ind.

A threat from anywhere on the court, Honegger has averaged 12 points per game over her career and last season she became the only player in Mid-American Conference history to convert 125 3-point attempts and make 125 blocks. This season she is shooting 40 percent from 3-point range.

AMBER FLYNN

NUMBER: 50

POSITION: Forward

HOMETOWN: Cincinnati, Ohio

Curt Miller calls her the best sixth man the MAC has ever seen. He’s got good reason. Flynn is averaging 10 points and four rebounds this season and demolished the post players from Kent State and Ball State with 21 and 18 points respectively in those victories. Flynn is a candidate for Sixth Man of the Year.

WHAT A CLASS

THE CLASS OF ’07: Curt Miller’s second true recruiting class has elevated the BG women’s basketball program in a huge way. The seniors are 97-24 since their arrival and have only lost nine MAC games. It’s not hard to believe that the rest of the conference won’t be sad to see them go.

THE GAME

BG vs. MIAMI: Miami gave BG it’s closest MAC win of the season on Jan. 16 in an 8-point victory. Amanda Jackson scored 21 and Jenna Schone scored 18 for the RedHawks. BG beat Miami for their 16th MAC victory last season to cap off their undefeated conference season. The RedHawks are 12-16 overall and 6-9 in the MAC this season.