No Country for Old Men’ recieves Oscar Buzz

Over the last twenty years there have been a number of filmmakers to emerge that have become some of the premiere directors working today, among them are the likes of David Fincher (“Seven”), Christopher Nolan (“Memento”), and perhaps the best of the bunch the Coen Brothers (“Fargo”) who this past week have released what is being hailed as one of their best films (if not the best) in “No Country for Old Men”.

The film is based on the novel by Pulitzer Prize winning author Cormac McCarthy of the same name tells the story of Llewelyn Moss (James Brolin), a down on his luck man who finds $2 million in the aftermath of a drug deal gone wrong. Afterwards, he is chased both by the County Sheriff (Tommy Lee Jones) and the psychopathic Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) looking to get the money Moss has stolen.

The last few years have been off for the Coen Brothers, who after years of big hits, including an Oscar for “Fargo” back in 1996, have had a series of huge flops. But after a short hiatus they have returned with a vengeance with the best film of 2007, and it looks to be the early favorite to be a big hit at the Academy Awards next year.

Bardem will at the very least earn a nomination for his turn as the killer who decides people’s fates with the flip of a coin. His psychotic turn is one of the most menacing turns of a maniacal killer since Anthony Hopkins brought life to Hannibal Lecter in “Silence of the Lambs.”

With a stellar cast and the skill of the Coen Brothers “No Country for Old Men” will go down as one of the best films of the year and one that will be talked about for years to come.