One Tank Wonders: Cleveland

To go on a quick trip to an exciting city with a lot to offer, you don’t need to travel very far.

Cleveland is packed with entertainment and offers many activities for residents and visitors.

If you are over 21, the bar scene downtown is very dynamic. West 6th is a street lined with night clubs. Liquid, Barfly, Synergy and Traffic are just a few bars on the strip. Shooters is a unique bar on a dock with a boat coming out of the middle connected to a stage and an outdoor bar. It is very lively with a DJ, dancing and pool tables inside. However, if you are under 21, Spybar welcomes minors.

There is entertainment for all ages such as sailing the waters of Lake Erie or going to University Circle, which includes the Cleveland Museum of Art and Severance Hall, the winter home of the Cleveland Orchestra.

Murray Hill, also known as Little Italy, is a neighborhood outside of University Circle comprised of four or five blocks of old Italy. Little Italy has a very friendly atmosphere with family owned restaurants and authentic, unique shops lining the safe streets that house many Cleveland State University students.

Another great place to shop is Tower City; a huge shopping mall in the center of Cleveland. The mall includes the Hard Rock Caf’eacute; and entertains many residents and tourists who stop by for sporting events. It also sponsors shows performed at the Tower City Amphitheater which is a concert venue across the street.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is Cleveland’s biggest attraction. It is a seven-floor building packed with historical information on the most famous musicians of rock and roll. Artists featured at the museum include Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, The Who, John Lennon, U2, Bob Dylan, The Clash and The Supremes.

Sports fans – be prepared because the sports scene is huge in Cleveland. There are three separate buildings that host the main sporting events. The Indians play at Jacobs Field, the Cavaliers play at Quicken Loans Arena, aka The Q, and the Browns play at the Cleveland Browns Stadium. Cleveland fans are very dedicated and tailgating is crowded with excitement.

While you are downtown at the game, a popular snack is the Polish Boy which is a sausage sandwich smothered with french fries, coleslaw and barbecue sauce. Before the Indians game you could also stop at Coopers Town which is where many fans go to pre-game and enjoy some of the best bar food the city has to offer.

Cleveland is currently in the process of renovation due to the large amount of people populating the area, but still makes a great road trip if you are looking for a day away to go barhopping, enjoy a good sports game or check out the most historical building dedicated to Rock and Roll.

If you still have time after your adventurous trip to the city, check out the Great Lakes Science Center, the Agora Theatre and Ballroom and the Statue of Grover Cleveland right in front of Veterans Memorial.