TV isn’t an option, so now what?

As a professional procrastinator and television viewer, my worst nightmare is coming true.

I’m always looking for ways to avoid my responsibilities, and television is normally the best way for me to waste hours of my time. However, with the ongoing Writers Guild strike (which doesn’t appear to be ending any time in the near future), my options for television consumption are becoming very limited.

My favorite late night shows have already begun airing reruns, and the last new episode of my favorite show, “The Office,” is airing tonight. As someone who looks forward to the days of the week and hours in the day in which my favorite show will air, this strike is taking away a large source of my happiness in my life.

At 11:00 p.m., I should be watching a brand new episode of “The Daily Show,” becoming up to date on current events and getting a good laugh at the same time. Where else am I supposed to get my news, newspapers? What a frightening concept. However, it’s likely that I will instead be writing a paper on a topic in which I have limited interest; truthfully I’d prefer the former option of watching TV. It’s making me sad that I don’t have that break in my day to forget about the massive amount of work I have to do.

I should be happy about the fact that I could potentially have more time to study and do my work, making me less stressed. However, as I said, I’m a procrastinator, I work well under pressure, and using these TV shows to put off my responsibilities until the 11th hour is my forte. What am I supposed to do with any extra time? Read? Who does that? Also, I’ll sleep when I’m dead, thank you.

I could also take this as an opportunity to become more involved with campus life and meet some new people. Maybe I could start a club on campus for other people who are saddened over the lack of quality television that will arise (at least, I hope I’m not the only person who is a wreck over the strike), in which I could meet new people and socialize. Naturally, when the strike does eventually end in due time, the club would have to be disbanded. We wouldn’t be able to compete with Dr. McDreamy and company at Seattle Grace. Kenneth Parcell of “30 Rock” said it best, as his church “lose[s] half the congregation every time American Idol starts up.” I’m sorry, real life; can I take a rain check? I have to see what ridiculous antics Dwight Schrute is up to this week.

However, half of the fun of watching television comes from the shared experiences I have with my friends as a result of the shows. My friends and I will hold screening parties when it’s time for our favorite shows, giving us an opportunity to take time out of our days to share in our collective love for Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, the crew on “The Office,” or the “30 Rock” staff.

Additionally, my love for certain shows has helped me meet new friends who also enjoy the same shows as I do. I keep reminding myself of these facts, so that I don’t feel pathetic for loving television as much as I do. It can have its redeeming qualities, it can!

Fine, I confess, I do have a life. I’m not a complete hermit (although I do spend too much time online in addition to excess television consumption). I can live without television, I just would prefer not to. The point I’m trying to make is that I do feel that television brings some happiness to my life, and I’m going to miss scripted shows.

I support the WGA and their intentions for striking, as unfortunate as the repercussions of the strike may be. I want it to end quickly so that the writers and crew members of shows won’t be out of work, and we can enjoy the content they provide. Mainly, I want to have a convenient and entertaining way to unwind and procrastinate in my daily life.

Sure, I could still procrastinate and waste time watching the ridiculous game and reality shows the networks air in place of reruns, or watch reruns of the shows that are affected by the strike. Unfortunately, I probably will, and that makes me feel even guiltier than I normally do for watching television.

At least with new shows, I feel less guilty about watching them, because it’s something new and fresh. I hope the strike is resolved, so that my procrastination can have more of a purpose and that time spent can be better vindicated.