Golfers end season

The Bowling Green Falcons Women’s golf team grabbed their shades and sunblock, as they headed down to Daytona Beach, Fla., to finish out the fall schedule.

The LPGA International was hosted by Xavier, and boasted talented teams from all over the country.

Coach Stephanie Young knew what to expect going into the tourney and hoped her team could show their best.

The team started off strong on day one with a team score of 317, one of their best rounds of the year.

Unfortunately, the team’s competition had even better round ones. Only two other schools were below BG on the leader board after the first 18.

Carley Hrusovsky upheld her role as captain, leading the charge with a solid overall score of 241 (79,79,83). Her scores earned her sole possession of 48th place.

“I contribute it to all the practice that we’ve had, and all the competitions we’ve been in,” Hrusovsky said.

Lauren Glew had yet another impressive performance, shooting one stroke behind Hrusovsky’s total (78,81,83). Glew has made a smooth transition into the college game, and has played a huge role for the falcons this season.

Jessica McCann started the strongest on day one, boasting a round one score of 76. She struggled to repeat that level of play in the following rounds, finishing with a three round total of 244, which put her in a tie for 54th overall.

These three have been near the top for a good amount this season, and Coach Young realizes their importance to the team.

“Carley, Lauren, Jess – they’ve all been very consistent and have place fairly high in the events,” Young said. “It’s good to know you have those scores that you’re going to be able to count on.”

De’Onna Anderson was unable to continue her hot streak from last week, as she struggled to break into the 70s. Anderson finished in 70th place, with an overall score of 250.

Marisa Glew rounded out the pack with an overall score of 259 (87,85,87). Coach Young knows the freshman’s potential, and expects great things from the young golfer in the coming years.

This tournament marked the end of the fall season for the Falcons. The team looks to make the most of this off-season.

“This is the time when we work on mechanics,” Young said. “[We’ll] try to restructure our goals, re-evaluate what’s happened in the fall, and figure out where we want to be with our spring season.”

The team will begin their spring season on March 7, 2008, when they travel to Rio Verde, Arizona, to compete in the Rio Verde Collegiate Invitational.