Music to the ears performed for youth

The College of Musical Arts is starting off Family Weekend with a whimsical concert that aims to entertain young siblings.

The Young People’s Concert series kicks off its 10th season with the concert “Saxophobia” tomorrow morning. The program aims to introduce children to various styles of music while entertaining and educating.

Deborah Fleitz, director of public events, said the concerts are important for the audience and students participating in the program.

“There are constantly cuts in the public school systems and music programs often go to the waste side and the Young People’s Concert is a way to engage young students in music,” Fleitz said. “Young kids usually get a kick out of it and we try to keep them engaged by being very interactive during the concert like calling them up on stage. It is also good for our students to interact with the children because many of them are studying to become music teachers.”

Richard Kennell, dean of the College of Musical Arts, said the concerts are great for families and the 45-minute runtime of the concerts are “good for young kids who can’t sit in their seats, the performances are short and interactive.”

“Saxophobia” is the first of five concerts for the series this year. Music professor John Sampen has been working with the University saxophone band for the concert.

“Our goal is to get children exited about music, so were going to play lighthearted popular music like “Stars and Stripes Forever,” “Yankee Doodle,” some Disney songs and some of our original works,” he said.

Throughout the concert children will also learn about the history of the saxophone, melodies and musical theory, but may not even be aware they are learning.

“We try to sneak in the educational information, we want families to have a good time while learning,” Sampen said.

“The Young People’s Concert: Saxophobia” begins at 11 a.m. tomorrow in the Bryan Recital Hall of the Moore Musical Arts Center. Admission is $2 for adults and $1 for children, available at the box office beginning at 10:30 the day of the show.