Going green simple to do

Saving the environmental state of the world is a broad objective and impossible for one person to do alone. But if everyone made simple changes to their daily routines, the world would be one step closer toward being “green.”

Going green on campus is quite effortless and does not take a vast amount of time. Day-to-day solutions can be as simple as turning off your laptops, lights, desk lamps and televisions when not in use. Plenty of energy-efficient routines are made easy, like recycling cans, bottles and newspapers in the many recycling receptacles found around campus.

Although other great ways to make a difference may not be as obvious, they are still just as important.

“Even turning off power strips in your room before going to sleep makes a difference,” Whitney Kraner, an active member of the Environmental Service Club and co-runner of a campaign on climate change, said.

“Or even unplugging appliances and electronics when not in use,” Jessie Ackerman, president of the ESC, said.

Ackerman added there are several other simple routines that can be practiced.

“Taking shorter showers are another great way,” she said. “And don’t use those take-out boxes [from Dining Services] if you don’t have to.”

Ackerman said the take-out boxes just add to the waste on campus.

Kraner said another way to save energy is by making sure there is no ice buildup in dorm refrigerators. Also, refill plastic water bottles at drinking fountains instead of buying more. Air-drying hair after showers instead of using electric hair dryers is another great tip and using the bus shuttles or bikes instead of driving. Plus, Kraner said recycling is also important.

Recycling reduces the amount of trash taken to landfills, which helps the University from paying expensive landfill fees, according to the University recycling Web site. Also, buying recycled products reduces strain on the environment. These products can be found in the Peregrine Shop next to the University Bookstore, where recycled paper products and even shampoo is sold. A lot of things are recyclable that students use on a daily basis, including cans, glass, newspaper, plastic bottles, and even according to Rikki Wise, another member of the Environmental Service Club, “notebook paper can be recycled along with the office paper.”

There are also a lot of environmentally friendly appliance and options to swing towards on your next shopping trip.

“Compact florescent light bulbs are more energy-efficient than regulars, boxes of loose powder laundry detergent are great, always choose a glass bottle over a plastic one and flat screen computer monitors use 30 percent less energy than others,” Kraner said.

The University has been recognized for its efforts in conserving energy. The Toledo Blade published an article in Jan., 2005 discussing the campus’ “Power Down” strategy, and also, won the national Recycle Mania contest in April of 2002.

All the factors that add to becoming environmentally friendly are all simple and best of all, benefiting to the globe.