Team on the rebound

Contrary to popular belief, getting beat by 47-14 by a divisional foe is probably not the best formula for success going forward.

Can the Falcons turn the page on this season with a good performance at Kent State tomorrow? Or will this season go the way last season went which spiraled into a 4-8 season?

The Falcons will tell you this is a different team from last year’s squad.

“I think last year was a completely different deal than this year, aside from the confidence,” said coach Gregg Brandon. “The thing that we have to do is stay focused with the kids, stay positive with them, and make sure that they understand the reason we lost the Miami game was critical errors and we didn’t take advantage of their errors.”

Those critical errors led to the Falcons leaving Oxford with a resounding 33 point defeat with very little bright spots on either side of the ball.

Probably the lone bright spot for the Falcons was cornerback Roger Williams Jr. on kickoff returns. Williams had seven returns for 172 yards and will be willing to do whatever he’s asked of in an effort to get the win.

“I’m expecting to continue what I was doing these past couple of games on my return yards with the help of my kickoff return team,” Williams said. “We’ve been talking about how there is going to be no drop-off this week.”

The keys to a Falcons victory, however, probably do not include Williams returning the ball seven times because that means the defense is continually giving up points and that is not a good way to win games.

They are going to need to get something going on offense and actually stop somebody on defense. These things came so easy earlier in the season, but now it seems as if the team has fallen off the wagon.

The offense seems lost and the defense is not getting to the quarterback as productively as it was. The Miami game definitely made everyone on the team take a long look at themselves and figure out what had gone wrong

“[The Miami loss] humbled us a little bit, because we’ve been riding high all season with a couple big wins,” said quarterback Tyler Sheehan. “I think that game showed us that winning is fragile, and there is a fine line between being a winning team and a losing team.”

The Falcons will need to walk that fine line in order to beat Kent State, who is coming off a resounding defeat of their own at the hands of Ohio State by a score of 48-3.

The Flashes run the ball very effectively and they will look to do that again against BG, who gave up 262 yards on the ground against Miami.

“They are a good team,” said linebacker John Haneline. “They can run the ball very well, and they’ve got some great skill at the offensive positions. We’ve just got to get the game plan and prepare for them.”