We must socialize our medicine

Last week, Bush vetoed a bill that would have given health care to children. But he did give Americans who are just rich enough to eat, but just poor enough to eat only from the dollar menu, three reasons why their children don’t need health care.

The first reason Bush gives for vetoing the bill: It’s too costly. Wow, didn’t expect that one, considering the war in Iraq has cost $320 billion to fund. But when the administration who sent $12 billion in cash into a war zone in Iraq says it will cost too much, it must cost a ton. However, isn’t that the problem in the first place? Isn’t the reason these children need health care because health care is too costly? Maybe I’m the only one who can see this, but the only thing Bush has given the American people is a half-ass fence in Texas and tax breaks for people who make millions.

Bush’s second reason for vetoing the bill couldn’t be something that would ironically contradict his reason for passing the original bill, could it? Well, it is. His second reason is because this bill goes beyond its original intent. It was originally intended to give health care to children who couldn’t afford health care. And this bill would give health care to children who can’t afford it. Is this starting to hurt anyone else’s head besides mine? Sure, I guess Johnny’s mom can pay for his health care after she maxes out her credit card, puts down a second mortgage on her $100,000 home and picks up a third job. Besides, does Johnny really need to go to the hospital anyway? Pneumonia isn’t even a flesh wound – he’ll be fine.

Bush’s final reason on why this bill had to be vetoed is that the bill shifts too much insurance burden onto the government rather than private providers. Isn’t this the main problem – private insurance companies forcing Americans to pay too much and not covering necessary operations? The government should have stepped up and said insurance companies can not treat people like dollar bills.

Instead, the government said if you get sick, it better be for a good a reason, and you better make sure you get sick on the right day because you don’t have coverage on the weekends.

Americans need socialized health care for the same reasons Bush decided to veto the bill. Health care companies are allowed to do whatever they want when it comes to our health, and that is wrong. I don’t know what layer of hell someone must live in to deny a sick person medicine, but I bet it is the one with a low deductible.