Film Review: “Gone Baby Gone”

When an actor makes a directing debut it usually doesn’t take long before the criticism comes trailing behind it. When an actor like Ben Affleck takes a shot at directing, one can’t help but think of “Gigli.” It makes for an unfair advantage, but the payoff could rise Affleck to new respect. Harsh criticism of the past has sent Affleck’s new film, “Gone Baby Gone,” under an even bigger microscope than expected. With a past of numerous Hollywood mishaps, Affleck may have finally found a way to redeem himself.

In “Gone Baby Gone,” Ben Affleck takes on a story woven in a narrative that plays just like a great book. At the heart of it all is Affleck’s brother, Casey Affleck, in the lead role. Casey plays Patrick Kenzie, a private investigator who is asked to aid in the investigation of a missing 4-year-old girl. When Patrick takes on the task with his wife (Michelle Monaghan), their initial analysis is they could do no harm in helping. Exhibited to the furthest extent in Casey’s performance, we see their reasoning omitted the consequences it would take on themselves.

When looking at how patiently Ben lets his story unfold, it becomes easy to see how important a sense of morality is in this picture. As much as this is a story about doing what is right, it brings up unanswerable questions our main character becomes the example of. Casey brilliantly depicts the troubled and weary mind of Patrick as he ultimately places the weight of what he loves on his shoulders.

In the end, it is the Affleck brothers that have dug so deeply into our own thoughts they create a residual judgment that could be morally interpreted in opposite directions. They both have finally shown, whole-heartedly, how important their contributions are to the Hollywood realm.

***Three stars out of four