Lions explode for 34 in fourth for big win

DETROIT – The Detroit Lions did it all in a record-breaking fourth quarter, scoring on the ground, through the air on defense and special teams.

The new-look win took the place of a here-we-go again loss for a team that used to be the NFL’s laughingstock.

“Luck is turning our way,” Roy Williams said after Detroit beat the Chicago Bears 37-27 yesterday. “We’re a 3-1 ballclub and not a lot of teams can say that.”

No other team in league history can say they scored 34 points in the final quarter as Detroit did against the defending NFC champions, and no game included a combined 48 points in the fourth.

“We collapsed as a team at the end of the game,” Bears coach Lovie Smith said.

Chicago (1-3) led 13-3 after three quarters in a terribly played game before both teams scored three times as many points in the final 15 minutes.

“It was a big finish,” Williams said.

The Bears insist they’re not finished, even though their quarterback change backfired and their banged-up team is reeling.

“Our season is not over,” Brian Urlacher said. “But we have to get better.”

“We stink right now.”

Brian Griese, starting in place of Rex Grossman, had three interceptions.

Still, the Bears still had a chance to win.

Griese threw a 1-yard pass to Desmond Clark on a fourth down with 52 seconds left to pull the Bears within three. However, the onside kick bounced to Detroit’s Casey FitzSimmons and he returned it for a touchdown to seal the victory.

It was the kind of game Detroit used to lose as it put together one of the worst six-season stretches in NFL history – with at least 10 losses from 2001-2006 – but these might not be the same-old Lions.