Club sports offer something different at BGSU

BGSU Women’s Soccer Club

Who are they?

President Jessica Temple, who has been with the club since the fall of 2004, runs the BGSU Women’s Soccer Club. This coming year will be Temple’s fourth with the club.

Temple estimated the club has been on campus for ten years and they have competed in the Women’s Midwest Alliance Soccer Conference. The Women’s Club Soccer is active during the fall and spring semesters.

What do they do?

“BGSU Women’s Club Soccer allows players who wish to continue playing competitive soccer in an intercollegiate setting,” Temple said.

According to Temple, the club isn’t as rigorous or demanding as varsity soccer but it is “significantly more serious and competitive than intramurals.”

Why should you care?

The Women’s Soccer Club has played competitively against such schools as Ohio State, Miami, Kent State and Toledo. This year they will be competing against teams like Purdue, Ball State, Xavier and Dayton – not to mention a double and triple-header late in the season.

What’s it like?

According to Temple, the first try-outs can be nerve-wrecking because, due to the club’s popularity, the amount of girls that come are so large, but the number of spots are so little.

“When I made the team, became a regular starter and made friends I began to have a good time,” Temple said.

Throughout her time on the team, Temple also believes she has built what she believes will be lifelong friendships.

How to contact them:

Jessica Temple, President [email protected]

BGSU Club Water Ski and Wakeboard Team

Who are they?

Kirk Collins, the President of the organization, leads the Club Water Ski and Wakeboard Team. The team competes during the fall semester and they have ski trips in the spring.

“During the year we have various gatherings to sled, swim or play

volleyball at the rec,” Collins said.

The two staples of the club’s school year are their snow ski trip in the winter and a trip they take on a houseboat in the spring.

What do they do?

The club also competes in tournaments during the fall semester.

Why should you care?

According to Collins, several of the team members have been placing higher at tournaments and garnering national recognition.

“We are gradually placing higher at tournaments, getting our name

known and recruiting great talent,” Collins said.

What’s it like?

The team’s mission statement clearly outlines the experience its members are intended to have: “We encourage students of all ability levels to set personal goals and provide the opportunity for them to compete competitively all while creating a nationwide network of friends and colleagues that will last a lifetime.”

“What it comes down to is it give people a chance to try a new sport that most people aren’t fortunate enough to experience due to the high cost and the required elements necessary to participate,” Collins said.

Collins believes that his team is the closest team on campus, saying that everyone is always going out of their way to help one another. Collins also said that, even though he was shy and wasn’t the best skier in the beginning, people kept talking to him and inviting him to go places with them.

“I want to continue to make people feel welcome because once they get to know everyone. They won’t want to leave the team and the more comfortable you are with the people in the boat, the easier it is to ski behind it,” Collins said.

How to contact them:

Kirk Collins [email protected]

BGSU Ultimate Frisbee Team

Who are they?

The Ultimate Frisbee Team has been on Bowling Green’s campus for about seven years and Amber Taylor has been involved with the team for three years and is now the secretary. According to Taylor the team is open to everyone.

“Our team is relatively new, but I’m not sure exactly how

long it’s been a club,” Taylor said.

What do they do?

The Ultimate Frisbee Team is active in both the fall and spring semesters. According to Taylor, fall semester is more laid back.

“It’s a good time for people to get experience at practice and tournaments,” Taylor said.

The spring semester is when the team becomes more competitive and serious. That’s the time of year their practices become more intense and they start conditioning. The team practices and travels mainly to tournaments in Ohio. According to Taylor, they also venture into Indiana, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

“The Spring semester ends with the College Ultimate Players Association Championship series which is made up of Sectionals, Regionals and Nationals,” Taylor said.

Why should you care?

The team has competed at the Regional level in the past. According to Taylor, there is a lot of competition in their Section, so making it to Regionals has been a big accomplishment.

“Our team’s dues are much lower than other clubs as not much equipment is involved in playing Ultimate,” Taylor said.

These dues are about $40 a semester, which gets spread out to cover team dinners; tournament costs – fees, hotels, gas reimbursement – jerseys and discs.

What’s it like?

Taylor describes her first year with the team as a great experience, saying that the returning players were both helpful and encouraging.

“The team members made sure all of the new players got to play, no matter how inexperienced,” Taylor said.

The welcoming nature of the returning players and the fact that there are no cuts takes pressure off of incoming players. The returning players also made sure the new players were included in the outdoor practices.

“While the club members are predominantly male, we encourage females to play as well,” Taylor said.

How to contact them:

Amber Taylor [email protected]