Evolution of a go-to guy

Marques Parks has been part of BG football since 2004 when he redshirted for the Falcons.

The talented wide receiver was ready to make an impact in 2005, recording nine catches for 114 yards, but his season was cut short when he suffered a broken leg against Western Michigan in week seven.

In 2006 Parks played in all 12 games, but caught just five passes for thirty yards in the run-heavy offense.

This season has been a different story. Parks has come on quickly in the Falcons’ spread offense. He is second in receiving yardage and receptions with 132 yards on 10 catches.

He scored his first career touchdown in overtime at Minnesota which set up the game-winning two-point conversion.

After two years of waiting, Parks is making an impact. He is one of three go-to receivers in the Falcons’ offense.

He has good hands and the ability to break tackles as he showed on a 36-yard reception against Minnesota that set up a field goal attempt.

“He’s a guy now that we look for. He’s kind of become a go-to guy like Freddie [Barnes]or Corey [Partridge],” said BG coach Gregg Brandon.

Parks has always had the confidence to make plays in the offense. Now that he has the chance he hasn’t disappointed.

“I started feeling that way my freshman year then the injury occurred and last year different things happened,” Parks said. “It’s been very good for me to come out and have these two games and kind of give these coaches confidence that they can throw me the ball and I’m going to do the right thing with it.”

Parks’ leadership has also been applauded by his teammates. No stranger to being a vocal leader, Parks was team captain of both the football and basketball teams as a senior at South Fayette High School in Pennsylvania.

“He’s stepped up a lot. He’s been a vocal leader for those receivers,” said quarterback Tyler Sheehan. “Him and Corey [Partridge] have been the leaders of that group.”

Like many of his teammates, Parks took the initiative in the offseason to improve his game after the Falcons’ disappointing 4-8 season.

“I was expecting great things from him. He had a great winter, he had a great spring and I mean he’s been a leader,” Sheehan said. “He’s been a great asset to have just to go to when I need him.”

The spread offense that Sheehan has enabled, has Parks and his counterparts happy to get back to BG’s bread and butter, the passing game.

“That’s the reason we came here as receivers, because they threw the ball,” Parks said. “In those early years when Josh was here and Omar was here, its just exciting to get back to that.”

After two games and more than 700 yards passing, the offense is clicking. The Falcons performances against two Big Ten teams is just a preview of how much of the air attack their MAC opponents will see.

“It’s going to be an exciting year and it’s showed what’s going to be in store for the rest of the season as far as how much we’re going to be throwing the ball,” Parks said.