Falcon football notes: bye-week

By Colin Wilson Sports Editor

The bye-week has come at a pretty good time for the BG football team.

After two straight weeks against Big Ten opponents, they could use a breather.

BG coach Gregg Brandon didn’t plan the team’s schedule and he’s not complaining.

“It’s good that we got a bye though because we’re beat up,” he said.

After facing two bruisers last week in Javon Ringer and Jehuu Caulcrick, the defense is likely a bit tired. Especially considering that they had to contain Minnesota’s Amir Pinnix the previous week.

A BIGGER ARSENAL

Not only did the Falcons find the quarterback they need to pass the ball 50 times a game, but they’ve also found plenty of guys to catch the ball. The Falcons have completed 67 passes this season to 10 different receivers. Seven players have six or more catches.

“It’s obviously good to have that depth,” Brandon said. “That’s only going to help us in the long run as the season wears just having those fresh guys those six, seven or eight guys that are going to go in there at any time and run good routes and catch the football.”

Tyler Sheehan’s three touchdown passes have all gone to different receivers and he’s even caught one himself.

THE VICTORY CLUB

The Falcons have a weekly award that they give to the player of the game for every week. This week Derek Brighton was the offensive player who joined the Victory Club with seven catches for 67 yards. Adrian Baker won the defensive award with three tackles, an interception, a pass break-up and a tackle for a loss. On special teams Nick Iovinelli averaged 40 yards per punt and had a long of 49 for the award.

LINEBACKERS ON A WARPATH

John Haneline has done a novel job at replacing last year’s defensive catalyst Terrell White. Haneline leads the team in tackles with 25, has three tackles for a loss, a sack and a forced fumble.

His fellow ‘backers Loren Hargrove and Erique Dozier are tied for second on the team with 13 apiece.

The unit feels like it improved its performance last week compared to week one especially shutting down the running game of MSU.

“It built our confidence a little bit being able to cut down some of the yards we gave up the first week,” Dozier said. “We’re making steps in the right direction.”

TEMPLE OF DOOM

The Falcons have this weekend off but their next opponent was one of the only reasons they appeared on SportsCenter last season. When the Falcons broke the Owls’ 20-game losing streak Oct. 28 of last season, it was national news.

The Falcons were embarrassed by the game and it was a low point in their season. Now they open their home season with the Owls.

“After what happened last season we owe them something but in any game you come out wanting to win,” said receiver Marques Parks.

Like any team, the Falcons don’t want to make any football game more than it is. But they have endured plenty of laughs over the game and they want to make that go away.

“I don’t think we have to get [the players’] attention for this one,” Brandon said.