Lab changes confuse students

The recent destruction of Saddlemire, the previous home of Information Technology Services and recent computer lab renovations, has led to some confusion for students regarding the computer labs on campus.

“I tried to go to the Hayes lab but I couldn’t use it,” said Kim Black, sophomore. “I live off campus and I don’t always know about changes.”

Hayes 127 is the new home of the Student Tech Center and is no longer available for general student use. The Student Tech Center was relocated to clear out Saddlemire.

Other computer lab changes include those in Jerome Library. Construction started for new labs in Jerome Library on Sept. 4. It is projected to be a 60-day remodeling process, but there may be unexpected issues that may delay this time, said Cindy Fuller, communications coordinator.

“There will be two more areas for additional computer systems in Jerome library on the first floor,” Fuller said.

About 1,000 computers including replacements, updates and faculty/staff computers were replaced around campus this year, said Debra Wells, manager of Client Services/Web Development.

This number is higher than previous years because more money was allotted in the budget.

The school purchases primarily Dell and Apple computers because of the price and the fact that the University can service and support them, Wells said.

Money for computers comes from the central fund budget of the Office of the Chief Information Officer.

The computers that have been replaced are used to replace older computers on campus and the computers that are of no use are recycled. Most computers have a life span of six years at the University.

Along with the physical computer renovations, Information Technology Services is introducing MyFiles, a network-based file storage system for faculty, staff and students.

Students and faculty can store files onto MyFiles and allow others to view it. It’s similar to an e-mail attachment but will be more easily accessible, Fuller said.

MyFiles is accessible from any computer via myfiles.bgsu.edu.

“This will be very helpful. Students wouldn’t have to carry a USB key; you can’t lose anything,” Wells said.