Women’s golf earns 5th place finish

The women’s golf team opened up its season this past weekend, participating in the Laker Fall Classic held at Grand Valley State University.

Those who qualified and played in the tournament were Carley Hrusovsky, Amanda Bader, Jessica McCann, DeO’nna Anderson, Hannah Lambert and Lauren Glew.

Bader, a senior, had confidence in her team going into the weekend.

“Coach had us play a lot of golf in the two weeks we had to get ready. She did a great job of making sure we were prepared,” Bader said.

The team started out strong on day one, with an overall team score of 310.

Coach Stephanie Young was very pleased with her team’s scores on day one.

“Sunday was a great first round, one of the best we’ve had in a few years,” Young said.

The team struggled to repeat that success on day two, and ended up shooting a 326.

“We just have to go out and work hard to improve upon that,” Young said.

The team finished fifth of the 17 teams that competed in the tournament.

Glew, a freshman, filled the team’s sixth spot, playing individually in the tournament with great success.

In the first tournament of her collegiate career, Glew stepped up big, shooting a two-day score of 151 (77, 74).

She finished tied for third overall in the tournament.

Glew said that playing individually took a lot of pressure off, and she was just excited to be able to go out and compete.

Glew was one of three Falcons to finish in the top 20 individually.

Carley Hrusovsky finished 15th and Jessica McCann finished 18th, respectively.

“I think it proves that this team has a lot of talent and their going to have a lot of opportunities to succeed,” Young said.