USG debates ways to curb alcohol abuse

Alcohol prevention took a front row seat at the Undergraduate Student Government’s forum after the unexpected death of Jordan Shirey last Thursday prompted action from the student government.

At last night’s general meeting, USG discussed different plans and ideas for the prevention of alcohol-related deaths both on and off campus.

Jason Snead of the Internal Affairs Committee said that he felt it necessary for the USG to address and attempt to fix the alcohol issue on campus.

‘We must do something from within ourselves as leaders on this campus,’ he said. ‘We need to see something happen.’

Snead suggested establishing a core committee, which would be in charge of alcohol-related issues, such as putting together campus-wide events, bringing in speakers and organizations, and hanging signs on and around campus.

But instead of being staffed by adults and professors like some alcohol prevention organizations, Snead would push for a committee of students from the community.

‘It’s important that students hear this message from people their own age,’ he said. ‘If a student is at a party, a faculty member will probably not be there to tell them when to stop drinking, but their friends will be.’

However, not all of USG thought that Snead’s plan would be effective.

‘It’s very important how we deliver this message,’ said John Waynik, an at-large senator. ‘Even a core committee like the one we are proposing will not stop people from drinking, but we can monitor the ways that people are drinking instead.’

Jeremy Lehman, the speaker for USG, agreed with Waynik’s view on the issue.

‘I think it’s really important to educate students,’ he said. ‘I don’t think we can stop people from drinking, but there are ways to limit the amount they consume.’

Lehman proposed the idea of potentially setting a limit on how much alcohol one person can buy at any one time.

‘USG can work with the city, state and national liaison representative, Sean Martin, and see if limiting alcohol in a college town is possible,’ he said. ‘We have a great relationship with the city and have done things in the past that better the community of Bowling Green.’

Not only is USG concerned with alcohol prevention in the community, but they also plan to focus on students who live on campus.

‘People need to have accountability for their friends and make sure everything is OK when they are drinking,’ Vice President Nick Gamero said.

‘If one person takes a minute out of their life to look after someone else,’ he said, ‘they might just end up saving a life.’