UAO brings music, movies to the University

Dedicated to providing diverse entertainment for students, the University Activities Organization plans several events each year to keep students involved on campus.

UAO is an ideal way for students to gain networking and event planning skills, UAO vice president Elyse Anaszewicz said.

UAO is a student-run organization that plans events such as the Third Eye Blind concert this Saturday during homecoming and is supported by student fees.

“We bring a sense of community and unity among the University students through our programming,” Anaszewicz said.

One of these events includes movies shown in the Union theater each Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday in which 50 to 100 students attend on average, UAO president Allison Sandrock said.

UAO is able to offer these movies free to students through a Missouri-based motion pictures company called Swank which has a deal with the organization to show movies that haven’t yet been released on DVD.

Swank, which was founded in 1937, distributes movies to public institutions such as churches and college campuses.

Many students value being able to see current movies on campus with friends, as is the case for sophomore Tiffany Noble who saw “Knocked Up” on Friday.

“I like coming to see the movies in the Union because it’s free,” Noble said.

Students also appreciate viewing the movies without having to leave campus.

“I come to the movies in the Union because it is convenient,” sophomore Ann Pietrykowski said.

Other events UAO has planned for this fall includes a discussion and a tailgate series before each home football game, a Black Swamp Pub Series which meets each first and third Thursday.

“We bring a variety of events and discussions for everyone on campus,” Sandrock said.

One of these discussions will feature Ron Jeremy, a porn artist who has been talking to college students across the country in a series of debates. Jeremy will debate the value of porn in defense of an anti-porn Web site launched by a preacher Craig Gross. Gross will also be at the November discussion in the Union Ballroom.

“The goal in discussions and events like this is to bring everyone together, learn and have fun,” Sandrock said.

UAO often collaborates with other student organizations to bring events on campus.

For instance, Kathy Buckley a hearing-imparied motivational speaker and comedian, will come to the University Oct. 12 because of a collaboration with FIGURE, an organization that strives to help others regardless of a disability.

FIGURE stands for Find Intelligent Greatness Uniquely Residing in Everyone.

Any student wishing to become a part of UAO must complete an application and can either call or visit their office in the Union.