One Tank Wonders: Put-In-Bay

Key West of the North is what the entertaining village, Put-in-Bay is often referred to as. With the many activities offered, it’s no surprise why it’s nicknamed after one of the most lively islands in the country.

Only one hour and 40 minutes away, Put-in-Bay is isolated by the calm waters of Lake Erie and located on South Bass Island, just south of the Canadian border and north of Sandusky, Ohio.

To get to the Island, visitors can fly or they can enjoy a historical ferry ride on the Jet Express or the Miller Ferry based out of Port Clinton, Ohio.

For being only two by four miles, Put-in-Bay offers a wide variety of entertainment. Golfing, shopping, camping, dining, fishing, boating and biking are just a few activities popular in the area.

Junior Joe Reamer has been to Put-in-Bay many times with his family and always has a good time on the island.

“It’s a big vacation spot and a lot of families go up there for their traditional summer vacation. My family and I drive up there a few weekends out of the summer just to get away, relax and enjoy the atmosphere.”

Reamer named Frosty Bar and Family Pizza the best place to eat. He also described Perry Peace Memorial, a war monument, as one of the main attractions. However, the social scene is something everyone will enjoy.

“Put-in-Bay is known for bar hopping and its party atmosphere, so it’s a really fun place to be if you are 21,” Reamer said. “If you are underage, there are a ton of other things to do such as stopping by the surf shops, parasailing, jet skiing or renting double bikes, scooters and go-carts.”

Golf carts are the most common way of transportation on the Island and can be easily rented for a trip.

Visit putinbay.com for information on hotels and lodging and a complete list of dining areas and shopping centers.

Perry Peace Memorial

This memorial is here to celebrate the long-lasting peace between Britain, Canada and the U.S. It was originally established to honor those who fought in the Battle of Lake Erie. Construction for the momunment began in October 1912 and opened to the public on June 13, 1915. It offers a panoramic view of Western Lake Erie.

Parasailing

Parasailing is a fun and safe activity for all ages. After take-off, you can view up to 600 feet of spectacular views. No experience or athletic ability is required. Discounts are available for groups of 5 or more as well as early birds.

Jetskiing

Put-in-Bay Watercraft Rentals, Inc. offers kayaks, waverunners and power boats. Jetskiing is a good activity to assist in enjoying the scenic waters of Lake Erie. A one-passenger jetski costs $50/half hour and two-passenger jetskis cost $60/half hour. Also, a 15 foot power boat costs $80 an hour.

Nightlife: 21 and over

In addition to the numerous shops downtown, other points of interest are: Heineman’s Winery, Perry’s and Crystal Caves, Lake Erie Historical Society Museum and South Bass State Park. For those 21 and up, bars to visit include Brewary at the Bay, Beer Barrel Saloon and Crescent Tavern.