Support the monks protesting in Burma

This is a small attempt to let the public of the University know about a crisis that is going on right now.

It has nothing to do with celebrity jail time, effects of safe sex or a new bar in town. This deals with lives that are being lost due to unjust government decisions.

I just was checking my Facebook when I got off work and saw a new group outlining that monks are being slaughtered and assassinated by the government of Burma for marching peacefully to stand up for freedom and democracy, two pillars that we base our entire society on. I write you today to try to help those monks who are dying every day.

I urge all the students of the University to get involved and realize what is going on. I want to enlighten them that there is more than Paris Hilton and television in this world. Real people are being murdered for trying to stand up and live the way that every student on this campus has taken for granted at least once in his or her life.

Help the dying monks. Try to do something, even if it is small, by signing the petitions listed on the Facebook group site.

– Jim Tudor Senior, VCT The petition is available here.