Student threatens Bursar’s office

Campus police released further information yesterday about the man arrested for threatening University staff in the administration building on Tuesday morning.

Michael C. Horn, 34, of Whitehouse, Ohio, was charged with menacing and inducing panic.

According to police reports, Horn argued with several employees and said that he wanted to, ‘get a gun and kill all the Bursar Office employees.’

At 8:56 a.m. police received a call about an agitated student, possibly with a gun, arguing with employees in the Financial Aid Office. By the time officers arrived, the student, Horn, had gone down to the Bursars Office on the first floor and was arguing with three employees about his financial situation.

Police handcuffed Horn and searched him and his backpack. They did not find any weapons. According to police reports, as he was being searched, Horn kept saying that he regretted threatening the employees.

Horn was taken to the Wood County Justice Center and was released on $1,250 bond. He has been banned from campus, but was granted permission by a Bowling Green Municipal Court judge to return to the University late Tuesday to retrieve his car.

Horn is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 10.

On Tuesday afternoon, University police Chief Jim Wiegand sent an e-mail regarding the incident to all University students. This was done to end circulating rumors about the incident that were fueled by the coincidence that it occurred on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, said University media relations director Teri Sharp.