BG hosts tourney, looks to get rolling

The BG men’s soccer team is looking forward to an important weekend as it prepares to open its home schedule as the host of the BGSU Falcon Classic this weekend.

The team will play Central Arkansas today at 2:30 p.m. and Canisius on Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

The Falcons are looking to bounce back from two tough losses last weekend, and plan on a productive week of practice help to avoid last weekend’s results. Despite the losses, the team is remaining optimistic.

“We could have won all four games, but that’s just the nature of college soccer, there is not much of a difference in the teams anymore,” said BG coach Fred Thompson.

Thompson went on to say he likes what he sees from his team.

“Especially with such a young team, I’m pleased. I know that these guys are only going to get better, and that they are going to be very, very good. Right now we are striving to see if we can eliminate some mistakes defensively – and we will work on that this week.”

Freshman Captain Thomas McLean says there are a number of areas the team needs to improve on from last week, but a few areas stuck out as very weak.

“The way we interacted as a team, our defending, and just all out team play,” McLean said.

“We just plan on training hard this week, putting in all the effort this week and putting the two losses behind us. Hopefully we can come out with two wins at the end of the week.”

The Falcons’ game today will come against a Central Arkansas team (2-2-0) that has only been in Division I for a few years.

Still, Thompson says, they will present a challenge.

“They are a very solid team,” he said. “As far as RPI ratings [Ratings Percentage Index] for Division I, they are right up there.”

On Sunday, the Falcons will face a deceptively strong Canisius team (0-2-0) which, despite its record, can not be overlooked.

“The results I have seen from Canisius over the last couple weeks have been pretty good against some pretty good teams,” he said. “They have played very well.”

The BGSU Falcon Classic will consist of four teams, with the forth being the University of Detroit (who the Falcons will not play). Today, games for the Invitational will be held in the BGSU Soccer Stadium at 12 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., and on Sunday they will be held at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.

The team is looking forward to playing on their home turf this weekend, and in front of their home fans. Senior forward Abiola Sandy says the team is both prepared and excited for this weekend’s matches.

“I think that, especially with the freshmen, we know what to expect from good division I teams now.”

“We are really, really excited,” Sandy said. “It should be a good showing.”