High hopes, big expectations for netters

As the BGSU women’s tennis team begins preparing for the upcoming season, the team is confident it can continue where it left off last year.

The Falcons advanced to the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament after coming from behind to beat Miami in the quarterfinals. BG’s semifinal birth was the team’s first in the last seven years.

BG hopes the late season success will carry over to this year.

“It’s huge,” said BG coach Penny Dean. “It’s very exciting. It’s a confidence builder for sure. Everybody had that experience.”

The Falcons will have something else to look forward to besides the start of a new season – playing on brand new courts.

Andrea Volle, who has earned three varsity letters, says the courts should do wonders for the team.

“They will improve morale,” Volle said. “It will be good to have good-looking courts to play on. Makes us look better as a team.”

BG finished last season with an overall record of 13-9, while going .500 in the MAC.

According to Dean, all the pieces are in place for the team to have a great season.

“We should have a very good year,” Dean said. “We have experienced players and a lot of talent.

“We can be a top-four seed in the MAC tourney, if not better.”

BG returns seven players from last season’s team along with freshman Christine Chiricosta, a high school doubles champion.

“She is truly a very good player coming in,” Dean said. “She competed a lot this summer, so she’s ready to go. She will add to the intensity and desire to play longer points and set them up in practice. [She has] experience already in singles and doubles and she’s a fighter on the court.”

Not only will the Falcons face tough, early season opponents, but the team will also go up against a strong conference schedule.

“We have a very strong schedule that will get us ready for the MAC,” Dean said. “The MAC conference is unbelievable. No weak teams. Every year they get better.”