Constant calls from hovering parents take toll

As a former college housing official, Paul Jahr recalls phone calls from parents who would say, “I want to change my roommate.”

Of course, the parents didn’t really mean their roommate. They meant their child’s roommate. But the example just goes to show how involved parents can be in their children’s lives, particularly as they head off to college, said Jahr, associate vice president for student affairs at Georgia College ‘ State University.

“What stereotypically happens, parents of today have raised their children being actively involved in their lives, which is a good thing, but when they come to college, some (parents) … still continue to try to, in essence, do things for their son or daughter,” he said.

Although these parents sometimes can drive educators up the wall – asking questions about the size of a residence hall window or calling a professor to ask why their child received an F – the relationship doesn’t have to be strained.

Most college officials prefer to work hand in hand with parents.

“I think you have to look at (phone calls from parents) as helpful. They’re going to happen,” said Jeremy Baham, associate dean of students at Mercer University.

TIPS TO GIVE TO YOUR PARENTS

– Keep the lines of communication open. Use e-mail or regular mail to keep in touch without having your child feel you’re always checking up on him or her.

– Let your child have independence; encourage your child to solve problems himself or herself.

– Make sure your child is aware of various support services on campus.

– Remember that you raised your child, and he or she is not going to change dramatically because of a location change.

SOURCE: Officials with Mercer University and Georgia College ‘ State University