Same college taste, different package

There has been a disturbance sweeping across the city that must be addressed. We must discuss how we feel; it isn’t healthy to “can” your emotions. So what’s the deal with the new Natty Light can?

Lots of people I have talked to say, “New can, same cheap beer,” but I believe there is more to it than that. Natural Light, the unofficial sponsor of college, is changing its face. The old can that used to say cheap and simple has now fallen victim to the Anheuser-Busch makeover.

Do you remember when the Bud Light can changed? I was probably only 13 and didn’t even like beer but I was still distraught because they took the red away from the white and blue. However, I will complement Natty Light for sticking with the red, white and blue color scheme.

Colors are not the only thing being tweaked by Anheuser-Busch.

Budweiser select has an original slim and tall look – I think for people with small hands.

So, I want to know: What’s with the emphasis on the can? Don’t get me wrong, I love Anheuser-Busch. In fact, I grew up in Columbus just a few miles from the Anheuser-Busch distributing plant, and when the wind was just right, I could smell barley and hops from my backyard. But beer companies should be more concerned about what is in the can and not on the can.

My beef with the new can is that it doesn’t tell me that it is “brewed for a naturally smooth taste,” like the old can promised. Now it just says, “the smooth pilsner with all-natural ingredients.” And the design on the box has not changed to match the can.

I conclude that I don’t really like the new can, but that might just be because I don’t like change. Soon enough I will learn to accept the new can and embrace it for what it is as long as Anheuser-Busch doesn’t hike up the price and market Natty as a better quality beer because of its flashy can.