Honors welcomes new assistant

While studying for her master’s degree here at the University, Dawn M. Shores did not know she would invest her knowledge back into the community.

Shores, who was hired to be the assistant director for the University’s Honors Program, isn’t new to Bowling Green. The St. Petersburg, Fla., native began her academic career at the University of South Florida, earning her bachelor’s degree in anthropology and psychology, but went on to earn her master’s in college student personnel from BGSU. Shores is excited to utilize her experiences from prior work at Tiffin University and the University of South Florida to contribute her knowledge to the honors community.

“I believe that a lot of the knowledge and experience that I gained from that position will positively contribute to our recruitment efforts in the Honors Program,” Shores said.

The Honors Community fosters academic growth and critical thinking skills – both important values to the Bowling Green community. Shores said she hopes to promote these values within honors students’ curriculum by building a strong relationship with her advisees.

“I hope to help contribute to and carry out the vision and mission for the Honors Program,” Shores said.

According to Honors Program Director Paul Moore, the mission and chief cornerstone of the program is to “assist students in developing critical thinking skills and applying them to the classroom and beyond.”

These critical thinking skills, Associate Honors Program Director Jodi Levine said, will help students “to be well prepared to accomplish their personal and professional goals.”

By joining the Honors Program, Shores will be an integral component in carrying out the mission.

Shores has already become involved with the honors community by helping plan the introductory Honors Program courses for first-year students. She also will advise first-year students by assisting them with their schedules – one of the reasons why Shores chose to accept the assistant director position.

“I was looking for a position that would allow me to combine my interests in higher education, which include recruitment and academic advising,” Shores said.

Additionally, Shores will work to develop the Student Ambassador Program and Diversity Committee within the Honors Program.

When she is not hard at work with the Honors Program, Shores enjoys traveling to visit family and friends back home in Florida. She loves to watch her favorite college football team – the Florida Gators – and professional tennis on game day.