The perks of being a honors student

Critcal thinking skills, useful knowledge, and challenging courses are a few things the Honors Program has to offer.

The University’s Honors Program was established 29 years ago to challenge students intellectually and create social ties between students pursuing academic excellence, said Jodi Devine, associate director of the Honors Program .

Today the Honors Program continues to live up to this standard by providing many opportunities for its students, such as bringing in guest speakers, informing students about study abroad options and holding special career planning sessions.

Academically, the Honors Program strives to help students acquire critical thinking skills that will be beneficial both inside and outside the classroom, Devine said.

To be selected for the Honors Program, incoming students must have a 3.5 GPA and complete additional paperwork, including an admission essay and letters of recommendation.

Students already at the University wishing to enter the program must have 3.5 GPA after one semester and complete other applications that can be found by clicking on the Honors Program link on the University’s Web site.

Once in the program, students must complete the two required Critical Thinking and Great Ideas courses. Through these classes, students learn to think with a critical point of view and apply this skill toward finding a job after graduation, Devine said.

“It sets them apart and makes them unique from the thousands of other applicants,” she said.

This was something that motivated Alexander Haney, a freshman honors student, to join the program.

“Truthfully, I believed joining would give me more benefits,” he said.

One of the benefits of being in the Honors Program is the Loft, a common area located within the Honors Learning Community in the Harshman dorms.

Equipped with a big screen television, comfortable chairs and several computers, the Loft is an ideal space for studying and holding special events. Additionally, the Loft has books and materials needed for classes so students can study from the convenience of their dorm.

Freshman honors student Rebecca Williams agrees the loft is an ideal place to study and relax.

“I like hanging out in the Loft … it’s nice,” she said.

Other events hosted in the Loft include Honors Student Association meetings. HSA is an organization that plans approximately 50 educational and cultural programs a year. This organization is open to all students on campus and meets monthly. The next meeting is scheduled for Sept. 19 at 9 p.m.

The purpose of HSA is to provide interested students with an outlet to channel their interests, plan activities and learn outside the classroom.

Popcorn Wednesdays are held in the loft every Wednesday afternoon, where students can relax and enjoy one another’s company while eating a free snack.

Other opportunities provided for honors students include the Honors Learning Community housing, located in Harshman Dunbar. Residents in the learning community must pay a fee that covers special cultural trips. Some of the trips planned for this year include the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Monty Python’s Spamalot at Toledo’s Stranahan Theater, Niagara Falls in Ontario, Canada, and the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario.

These trips allow students to make social and cultural connections beyond the University setting, Devine said.