University nearly doubles e-mail inboxes

University e-mail inboxes have a lot to gain, and now the space to hold it, pleasing their users.

The University’s Information Technology Services heeded to student and faculty requests by nearly doubling e-mail storage space on Webmail earlier this month.

The move from 30 to 50 MB is an effort by ITS to accommodate the increasing need to receive and keep spreadsheets, theses, or just a ton of e-mail longer after accumulating a full mailbox.

Communications Coordinator for ITS Cynthia Fuller said winter break offered the University time to put the change into effect, along with the acquirement of hardware needed to support the increased load.

Students, like Matt Kelly, junior, called the old e-mail system a pain.

‘I got to a point when I just, in bulk, cleared all my e-mails but a page of the most recent,’ Kelly said. ‘A couple weeks later I realized I needed the e-mails I’d gotten rid of.’

The increase came as a surprise to Kelly and other students whose mailboxes are not as easily capping off after their usage is met.

The University’s boost to campus e-mail comes after a rise in subscription to other services on the Web. Gmail, Google’s e-mail offspring, now offers 2,600 MB of mail space, and newly no-charge America Online recently announced up to 2 GB of storage.