Falcons beat RedHawks to win eighth straight, remain undefeated in ’07

OXFORD, Ohio – As the Mid-American Conference season continues, the BG women’s basketball team is receiving some tough competition.

A 64-56 win over Miami University did not come easy for the Falcons, as they struggled from both the field and the foul line all game. They shot 52 percent from the foul line and 39 percent from the field in another dogfight on the road.

“Tonight I think it just showed how much of a grind it is in MAC play on the road,” said BG coach Curt Miller.

The RedHawks gave BG all it could handle in the first half – there were six lead changes as Miami tried its best to take advantage of 19 missed shots. The RedHawks had a hard time though, missing 21 shots of their own and trailed BG 30-27 at the half.

In the second half, BG got a break to go their way when Amanda Jackson, who had 21 points in the game, committed her fourth foul of the evening with 9:39 still on the clock, limiting her minutes.

BG took advantage.

A Megan Thorburn lay-up with 3:56 remaining pushed the Falcons’ lead to 56-41.

Still, Miami was relentless. Jackson hit a 3-pointer and Miami guard Jenna Schone hit a two more 3-pointers of her own to help pull within four points with 37 seconds remaining.

BG held strong though, making four free throws in eight tries and getting three straight defensive stops to end the game.

Ali Mann led the way for BG with 18 points. She also pulled down nine rebounds and hit a key 3-point shot in the second half.

While Jackson was stuffing the stat sheet for Miami with five rebounds and four steals to go with her 21 points, Schone turned in a great night as well with 18.

Amber Flynn scored 14 points to go along with seven rebounds and a steal. The inside presence was important as the Falcons went 3-15 from behind the arc.

“Considering the outside was not as well as we wanted it to be, inside was very important and I just wanted to contribute any way I could,” Flynn said.

Liz recorded her third double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. She also stood out defensively with four blocks and two steals.

The past two games have not been easy for BG, as the team wants to get back to playing the way they did in their first three MAC contests.

“The last two games we have not shot or executed very well, and in the grand scheme of things this is not championship basketball that we’re playing right now,” Miller said.

BG will hope to recover from their shooting woes in the friendly confines of Anderson Arena this Saturday against Central Michigan. Miller and his team know they have to play better if they want to succeed nationally.

“We have big plans, we have big dreams,” Miller said. “We know that we’re going to have to play better than this if we’re going to get close to fulfilling some of those dreams.”