College symposium draws experts to Canada

In an effort to explore Canadian solutions to the ever-rising cost of education, three of Canada’s top university officials plan to speak at this year’s Reddin Symposium.

Claire Morris, Neil Gold and Chad Gaffield will lead the discussion on varied topics, from the role of college education in a productive culture, to governmental and organizational impact and funding for student assistance.

‘They’re experts in topics within the realm of education,’ said Christine Drennen, assistant director of the department of Canadian Studies, who chaired the committee responsible for this year’s event.

Claire Morris is president and CEO of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada, Neil Gold serves as provost and academic vice president at the University of Windsor, and Chad Gaffield is president of Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.

Drennen said Canada’s system of higher education can serve as an instructive model for the U.S. While the demographics are similar, Canada lacks federal involvement in student education; this means responses to cost increases must be met in inventive ways.

In September 2006, The National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education, an independent and non-profit organization aimed at boosting opportunities for higher education, reported Canada as ranking highest in the world for 25- to 34-year-olds holding an associate degree.

The U.S. placed seventh in the study at 39 percent – 14 percent below Canada.

The report cited lack of affordability as the biggest challenge for U.S. students, a certain factor in the underlying statistic that only 17 percent of students enrolled in college in the U.S. actually earn a degree or certificate.

This is the department of Canadian Studies’ 20th year presenting the Reddin Symposium, a forum intended to create dialogue of Canadian-based issues.

The program is set for Jan. 13, from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on campus, and while the event is free to the public, the department requests that advanced reservations be made through the Canadian Studies Web site at www.cba.bgsu.edu/cast.

Drennen said the symposium, as in past years, is expected to draw attendees from across state and national borders.