Committee seeks support for instructor

The ad-hoc committee for the Justice of Carlos Adams requested the help of the Undergraduate Student Government at last night’s general assembly meeting.

Adams, who worked as an ethnic studies instructor at the University for three years, was let go at the end of the spring semester of 2007.

According to the committee, Adams was fired due to the fact that the professor he had been filling in for had returned.

However, another instructor is being hired this spring who will be teaching the same classes Adams taught.

‘Adams had a long history of educational and work history,’ sophomore R.J. Segovia said. ‘He taught a number of different ethnic studies classes here at the University, ranging from Ethnic Studies 101 to 112 and many more.’

According to Segovia, the reasoning behind Adam’s release was due to his lack of enthusiasm about the appointment of the new Ethnic Studies Chair Timothy Messer-Kruse.

‘For one thing, Kruse did not have lived-in experience, which the Latino Student Union was also concerned about,’ he said. ‘Kruse also received a vote of no confidence from the University of Toledo and Adams was someone who was outspoken about these issues.’

After Adams was released from his position, a petition was created online by the ad-hoc committee. More than 500 students, parents and alumni have signed it.

‘This is something called the open door policy,’ group representative Errol Lam said. ‘We let a faculty member in and then we let them right back out the door.’

Although the committee said that all information presented was based on fact and public records, a number of USG senators still felt that more definite information would be needed before they could support the group.

‘It’s just not possible to make a decision based on the information received tonight,’ Senator Molly Albertson said.

President Johnnie L. Lewis, while agreeing with Albertson, also noted that the issue is an intriguing one that he would like to learn more about.

‘There are specific instances that begin to make me question and intrigue me,’ he said. ‘Overall, I just want what’s best for the student body. If he is the best person for the job, then he needs to be here.’

Notes: The resolution for the Ethnic Student Center was passed last night by the senate. Minority Affairs Senator Leo Almeida promised to keep USG updated on issues surrounding the development of the center.