Falcons come oh-so-close

It was a very well-played game by both teams – unfortunately for the Falcons, the final scoreboard did not read exactly as they had hoped.

The final tallies show the Falcons losing to Notre Dame by a score of 86-84, but this was hardly a loss for this Falcon team.

“I’m really proud of the team tonight,” said BG coach Curt Miller. “They were gutty- they really competed and didn’t back down and at no time showed any imtidation.”

It would have been perfectly acceptable for this young team to fold under the pressure of the big stage against the toughest opponent in most of their careers – but that is not what the team is about.

They battled all night long and forced Charel Allen to make a very tough shot in overtime with .8 seconds left on the clock in order for the nationally ranked Fighting Irish to pull out the victory in front of a rowdy Anderson Arena crowd.

The Falcons gave it everything they had, but it just was not enough to beat the Irish.

“This would have to be one of the most fun games I’ve ever played in,” said BG guard Kate Achter, who admitted to having chills after the game. “To come down to the wire like that with a chance to beat a top 25 team – it’s what everyone dreams about.”

Achter showed her senior leadership by scoring 20 points and dishing out seven assists. She really took over in the second half but she was not alone.

She was joined in double figures by Lauren Prochaska’s 18 points, Crystal Murdaugh’s 14 and Tara Breske’s 10 – pretty good considering all three of those players are sophomores or younger.

“It was a great game. The atmosphere was amazing,” Prochaska said. “It was so exciting to get out there and play. We were all so pumped up and so ready to play – we weren’t scared or intimidated at all.”

Prochaska had the ultimate first half by nailing six of her seven shots including five three pointers en route to an 18 point half. Unfortunately she was plagued by foul trouble in the second half and ultimately fouled out without registering a point after halftime.

“I picked up stupid fouls that I shouldn’t have picked up and that’s something that I have to learn from,” Prochaska said. “I can’t let it happen again.”

“If we can keep her on the floor, we’ll be in good shape,” Achter added.

With Prochaska out of the game, the Irish were able to build a 10-point second half lead and it was almost a make-or-break time for the Falcons. They could either fold up the tent or fight back.

The Falcons chose to fight back and took a one-point, 64-63, lead with just 5:50 to go in the game on Achter’s lay up and converted foul shot.

BG fought back again after Notre Dame’s Lindsey Schrader converted on a lay up to put the Irish up five with a minute to go.

Sarah Clapper hit a 3-pointer and Lindsay Goldsberry converted on two clutch free throws with 17 seconds to play to push the game into overtime.

“We were absolutely lucky to escape with a win tonight,” said Notre Dame coach Muffet Mcgraw. “I thought Bowling Green played an outstanding game. I thought they did, offensively, absolutely everything they could possibly do well.”