BG tennis team bounces back, shuts out Butler

After two upsetting losses last weekend, the BG women’s tennis team bounced back on Friday, blanking Butler University 7-0. The win brought the Falcons to a 6-2 record, and a 4-0 record at the Perrysburg Tennis Center. With Christine Chiricosta back on the roster, the squad is now a perfect 6-0 while fielding a complete line-up. Chiricosta was out for the last two matches with a wrist injury but returned to the court on Friday. ‘Christine did fine,’ said coach Penny Dean. ‘She missed a few shots she normally would have made, but her mental toughness overcame that. [There is] no sign of re-injury.’ Chiricosta defeated her opponent 6-1, 6-3 and while teamed with Kelsey Jakupcin, won the top doubles flight 8-2. Dean feels’ the women focused and stepped it up after dual losses the previous weekend. ‘[Winning] is a great feeling,’ Dean said. ‘Butler is a very good team, and we really brought our A-game to take them out like that.’ Senior Stefanie Menoff won 6-3, 6-3 against a difficult opponent in Cam Thompson. ‘My opponent was very consistent and did not miss many balls,’ Menoff said. [That] forced me to step up my game and be even more consistent than she was.’ Friday’s match will be the last before the team takes off for spring break. ‘I think that everyone played well this weekend and we are going into spring break on a high note,’ Menoff said. Dean says the break will prove to be positive for the team. ‘The break will be good for us,’ Dean said. ‘Except for November and December, we play the entire school year.’ The Falcons will host Indiana University/Purdue University – Indianapolis on Sunday, March 15 at the Perrysburg Tennis Center. The matches will begin at 12 p.m.