Tennis keeps rolling at home, beats IUPUI

The BG Women’s tennis team brought their season record to 7-2 with a win against the IUPUI Jaguars on Sunday. Following spring break, the team went 7-0 against the Jaguars, giving up only 4 games across both singles and doubles.’ This home win brought the Falcons to 5-0 at the Perrysburg Tennis Center. Christine Chiricosta, Samantha Kintzel and Stefanie Menoff all posted perfect 6-0, 6-0 scores.’ Though the women only had one team practice during spring break, they all kept up their game individually during the past week. ‘Everyone practiced on their own over spring break [and] it was everyone’s responsibility to keep up their game,’ said Menoff. ‘Based on this past weekend everyone did a good job. The team also came back early to practice together on Saturday before the match on Sunday.’ The Jaguars’ coach, Cameron Benjamin, is a former Falcon who played under head coach Penny Dean from 2001-05. ‘It is fine coaching against Cam,’ said Dean.’ ‘I think during the match I actually forget who the opposing coach [was].’ I am proud of her having a Division I job.’ The next match for the Falcons will mark the Mid-American Conference opener against University of Illinois at Chicago.’ The women will be in the Windy City on Friday (Mar 20) before heading to Western Michigan on Saturday (Mar 21). Before the MAC games begin, the women have a few things that they’d like to work on. ‘I will be working on placement of all of my shots going into MAC season,’ said Kelsey Jakupcin. ‘I have been moving the ball around the court a lot more during my last few matches and making my opponent run and expend more energy than I do.’ According to Dean, the women will also be heading outside to get used to the different conditions and difficulties that outdoor courts can provide. The Falcons are looking forward to starting the MAC season. ‘I expect our quickness and mental toughness to be up to par because Western is a very good team and we need to be ready for anything that gets thrown our way,’ said Jakupcin.’ ‘I know that if we are in the right mindset and believe in ourselves, we can beat them on any given day.’