Falcon softball hosting Cardinals, RedHawks

After losing four straight games last weekend, the softball team will look to rebound in the Mid-American Conference as they return home for their second home stand of the season. Today, the Falcons (7-18, 2-4 MAC) will host Ball State (16-16, 6-1 MAC) at 1 p.m. for the first game of a double-header. BG will then take on Miami in a two-game weekend series starting tomorrow at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. The Falcons are on a 16-game winning streak against the Cardinals, winning 20 of the last 23 meetings. Against the RedHawks, the Falcons are on a two-game home winning streak and lead the all-time series 50-36. In two seasons against Ball State and Miami, coach Shannon Salsburg holds a combined record of 9-1. Though she has had great success against these teams in the past, Salsburg is taking nothing for granted. ‘They’re both very improved teams, and they’re playing very well,’ Salsburg said. ‘I think we’re going to have our hands full this weekend, and we definitely need to show up and play ball.’ The BG offense certainly has showed up as of late, scoring 12 runs off 23 hits in their last two games. Apart from the offense, something that has not fared too well for the Falcons has been their defense. As the team continues to work on the defensive side of the ball, Salsburg knows the offense will be a big part of their success. ‘It’s a good sign to see the offense rolling because it can really pick up some of the areas that we continue to work on,’ Salsburg said. Having had success against Ball State and Miami, Salsburg’s next win will give her 60 in her career with the Falcons.