Track team heads to Detroit

Coming off a stellar opening outdoor weekend, the BG track team looks to maintain momentum today in the Detroit-Mercy Titan Classic. The Falcons finished first of three teams last weekend in the UT Collegiate Challenge, dominating conference rivals Toledo and Central Michigan in the process. BG athletes took first place in eight of 17 individual events. In total, seven of the eight first place finishes were in field events. Senior Whitney Hartman (discus throw, hammer throw) and sophomore Brittani McNeal (long jump, triple jump) each had two first place finishes. According to coach Cami Wells, it is important for the team to continue performing well this weekend. ‘It is very important to build on [last week] in order to reach our ultimate goals at the conclusion of the season,’ Wells said. The goals she mentioned were to train and compete hard, support each other and to learn something from each experience to be better in future competitions. This weekend, she hopes the team can achieve similar success from last week, as well as improve in other events. ‘We want to continue giving that consistent effort across the board and work on weaknesses while still capitalizing on strengths,’ Wells said. The event this weekend is an ‘open non-scored meet,’ meaning post collegiate competitors and red-shirted athletes can compete. This format is not unusual in track and field. The team was originally scheduled this weekend to compete at Cincinnati, but UC has since adjusted some meet dates, forcing BG to find a new meet to attend and therefore add Detroit-Mercy to their schedule. Teams competing today include Detroit-Mercy, Oakland, Wayne State, Toledo and Youngstown State. Wells believes the team should go into this weekend with much confidence. ‘We have competed against all of these teams in the past – most of them this year – so we feel we can do very well against the competition this weekend,’ she said.