Falcon track to face best in Ohio at Miami

The start of the outdoor season has resulted in much success for the BG track team, which will participate in the All-Ohio Championships this weekend. Though only some of the Falcon athletes competed in the Sun Angel Classic last weekend, the majority of the team will take part in this event. Coach Cami Wells said the layoff for some athletes should not have a negative effect. ‘In track and field not competing for one weekend is not uncommon,’ Wells said. ‘All of the athletes are trained to be ready to compete when it is time to compete. Those that competed last week had a different training schedule than those who did not but all were designed to get them ready to go this weekend.’ The two-day event limits four athletes per event per team. It is a team-scored event, broken up into all teams attending and also Div. I teams as well. The teams participating, in addition to BG, are Ashland, Central State, Kent State, Lake Erie College, Miami, Ohio, Tiffin, Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, Findlay, Wright State and Xavier. Wells is excited to face this level of competition this weekend. With the exception of the meet at Arizona State, she called it the best competition the Falcons have seen as a complete team thus far in the outdoor season. ‘Each event is competitive and this will give us a good chance to see [the Mid-American Conference teams] for the first time this outdoor season,’ Wells said. Additionally, several Falcons will be looking to qualify for regionals. Senior Jamie Roflow will be looking to earn a qualifying mark for regionals. Senior Whitney Hartman is looking to earn a regional mark in the shot put and discus to add to her qualifying mark in the hammer throw. TaKarra Dunning, also a senior, is close to earning a regional mark in the hammer throw to add to her shot put qualifier. In addition, junior Sabrina Forstein has a shot at the regional mark in the pole vault, as does sophomore Brittani McNeal in the long jump. But, Wells is more focused on a complete team effort this weekend. ‘The team is competing well this season, we have stepped up and been consistent and mentally strong as a team,’ Wells said. ‘We need to continue to build on this in order to get our best team performance at the MAC meet in May.’