Wells pleased with team’s weekend performance

Two weeks prior to the MAC Championships, the BG track team took part in a non-scoring competition at the Hillsdale Relays in Michigan. Coach Cami Wells was satisfied with the effort of the team this weekend. ‘The competition was strong and the weather was hot and windy the majority of the weekend,’ Wells said. ‘I thought they dealt well with the difficult conditions and did a good job staying hydrated and ready to compete.’ Though no team scores were kept, Wells said this would not be the way to judge the success of the team. ‘The success is always judged by the effort and performances regardless of the scoring,’ she said. Seniors TaKarra Dunning and Whitney Hartman placed highest among BG’s athletes, finishing runner-up in the shot put and hammer throw, respectively. Dunning threw the shot put 14.7 meters and Hartman 55.06 meters in the hammer throw. Sophomore Heather Conger set a personal record with a time of 2:15 in the 800 meter run as part of the team’s 4×800 relay. She also set a PR in the 400 meter run (58:54) this weekend. Junior Andrea Pereira de Almeida ran a personal record in both the 4×800 meter relay Friday (2:21) and the 1500 meter run Saturday (4:47.32), dropping 17 seconds from her previous best in the 1500. Other impressive showings to note include senior Jamie Roflow’s come-from-behind finish to win her heat of the 1500, with a time of 4:46.27. Sophomore Brittani McNeal ran the 200 meters in 25.01 seconds and junior Shannon Laseak’s triple jump of 9.86 meters was a new personal record. Sophomore Autumn Dettman ran the 3000 meter steeplechase for just the second time and finished at 11:33.56, taking 20 seconds off her previous time. The team will participate at the Toledo Invitational next weekend as they continue to prepare for the MAC Championships, starting May 14. ‘At this point we need to focus on getting through finals healthy and use the next two meets to work on fine tuning before the conference meet,’ Wells said. ‘