BG track posts several strong finishes at ASU

Regional qualifiers and personal records were the highlights for the BG track team last weekend at the Sun Angel Track Classic, featuring some of the top athletes from across the nation. Coach Cami Wells had said last week the purpose of the meet was to get their top athletes into similar competition to what they could see at a regional or national level. One athlete qualified for the NCAA Regional meet and three set personal records.’ ‘Overall, I was very pleased with the way the athletes who competed stepped up to the level of competition,’ Wells said. Senior Whitney Hartman placed second in the hammer throw, exceeding the qualifying mark by over three meters. Her throw of 57.34 meters was less than one meter shy of the winner. Hartman also placed in the top ten in the shot put, throwing 13.87 meters. Wells was impressed with Hartman’s performance on the weekend as she also competed in the discus throw and placed among the top fifteen. ‘Hartman had a very solid weekend in all three events, and to finish second in the hammer in this type of meet is an accomplishment,’ Wells said.’ Sophomore Brittani McNeal set a personal record with a long jump of 5.7 meters and senior Kara Butler in the 5K with a time of 17:28.24.’ Wells mentioned, in addition to Hartman, other athletes put themselves in a position to meet a regional qualifying mark within the coming weeks. McNeal’s long jump fell just 0.3 meters from regional qualifying, and Butler’s 5K was 36 seconds off of qualifying pace. ‘Brittani has been consistent all year in the long jump and this was another big step,’ Wells said. ‘Butler took four seconds off her previous best 5K time.’ Other highlights included senior Jamie Roflow’s 3K steeplechase time of 10:57.80, five seconds shy of regional qualifying speed. Roflow had missed all of last outdoor season due to injury. This was her first steeplechase in almost two years. Senior TaKarra Dunning’s shot put throw of 14.73 meters was good for eighth in the premiere shot put event. Next, the Falcons will compete in Oxford this weekend at the All-Ohio Championship. ‘We are really looking forward to having the whole team back out competing against the best in Ohio,’ Wells said.