Falcon tennis falls in first round of MAC Tournament

The BG women’s tennis Mid-American Conference Championships came to a quick end for the No. 4 Falcons when they lost to No. 5 Toledo in the first round last Friday, despite being the hosts of the four day tournament. Senior Stefanie Menoff said the team was happy to not have to travel and was excited to host the other MAC schools. ‘The team was very proud to be hosting the MAC Championship this year, especially because of our new outdoor tennis facility,’ Menoff said. ‘It was nice to have all of the teams at our home courts.’ Senior Kelsey Jakupcin said losing to UT was disappointingbut both teams put in their best efforts. ‘Both teams were faced with many challenging obstacles on Friday (the wind, court situations, sun, etc.), and Toledo was able to overcome them better and be the better team that day,’ Jakupcin said. Last Thursday, the first match of the Championships put No. 8 Northern Illinois against No. 9 Ball State. NIU rallied from a 3-0 score, posting a final 4-3 and giving them a spot in Friday’s quarterfinal round. The next day, BG was downed 4-0 by Toledo in the quarterfinals. The afternoon matches were moved indoors to the Perrysburg Tennis Center due to high wind. NIU faced No. 1 Miami University, losing 4-0. Western Michigan downed Akron 4-0, and Buffalo defeated Eastern Michigan 4-0. Saturday, the entire tournament was moved indoors to the PTC because of more high winds. During the semifinal round, Miami made quick work of UT, beating them 5-0 and marking Miami’s 11th straight win. Usually, matches are cut off after a score of 4-0 is reached, but two individual matches finished simultaneously, warranting the unconventional score. UT finished their season 14-10. The WMU-UB match of the semifinals lasted from 2 p.m. to 7:06 p.m., with a final score in favor of WMU, 4-3. UB ended their season with a 14-6 record. Yesterday, Miami and WMU faced off for the MAC title. Once again, the match was moved into the PTC due to high winds. Miami came out on top with a score of 4-0, and they will go on to represent the league in the NCAA Championships.